Is an FCC License Required to Operate Two-Way Radios?
Yes. All business frequencies require an FCC license. We provide our customers with all details necessary for a valid FCC license. We can assist in obtaining a license and will help determine which frequency to use and which service best suits your operation of two-way radios. Systems that are operated as SMRs or wide area trunking may be licensed by the system owner and do not require the end user to apply for a license.

What is the range of portable radios and what’s the difference between UHF and VHF?
Coverage is reliant on power, antenna height and terrain. On-site portable radios will typically cover from 1 –3 miles in radius, while wide-area radios can offer coverage up to a 30-mile radius from the repeater site. Due to the characteristics of radio waves, UHF radios generally offer better building penetration and therefore are ideally suited for indoors as well as for areas of high building density (cities). VHF radios are better suited for areas where there is vegetation, where the signal can pass through objects. For this reason VHF radios are ideal for outdoor use. Where the application requires a combination of indoor and outdoor use, a UHF radio is preferable.

What are the benefits of a two-way radio versus a cell phone?
Cost and Dispatch Capabilities.
Push a button and be connected to one or one hundred individuals. Two-way radios are easy to use with a push-to-talk feature, which enables the user to communicate instantly with anyone on the network. Two-way radios are designed to be utilized in extreme conditions and offer rugged features. Flat monthly fee with no per minute airtime cost, unlike cellular phones. Low monthly costs, which include unlimited talk-times.